Rising dampness is a common problem many homeowners face, particularly those living in older buildings or areas with high groundwater levels. Rising damp is caused by moisture from the ground rising through the walls of a building and can lead to a range of issues if left untreated.
Here we look closer at rising dampness, what causes it, and how to treat it.
Understanding What Rising Damp Is
Rising damp is a type of dampness that occurs when moisture from the ground rises through the walls of a building. It typically affects the lower portions of walls and can be identified by a distinctive tide mark on the affected walls. If left untreated, rising damp can cause significant damage to a building’s structure and lead to the growth of mould and other harmful bacteria.
What Causes Rising Damp?
Several factors can contribute to the development of rising damp, including:
- Poor ventilation- If a building has poor roof ventilation, it can create a humid environment conducive to rising dampness.
- Faulty or missing damp-proof course and subfloor vents– A damp-proof course is a barrier installed between the ground and the walls of a building to prevent moisture from rising up through the walls. If this barrier is missing or faulty, rising damp can occur.
- High groundwater levels– In areas with high groundwater levels, the ground’s moisture can easily penetrate a building’s walls and lead to rising dampness.
Also Read: Common Plumbing Problems
Signs of Rising Damp
Several signs may indicate the presence of rising damp, including:
- A damp, musty smell
- Peeling wallpaper or paint
- Crumbling or damaged plaster
- Dark stains or patches on walls
- Visible tide marks on walls
Rising Damp In Internal Walls
If you notice any signs of rising damp in your home, it is vital to act quickly to prevent further damage. It may involve removing any damaged plaster or wallpaper, treating the affected area with a fungicide, and installing a new damp-proof course.
Rising Damp in External Walls
Rising damp can also affect external walls, mainly if they are in contact with the ground.
Is Rising Damp a Serious Problem?
Rising damp can be a serious problem if left untreated. In addition to causing damage to a building’s structure, it can also lead to the growth of mould and other harmful bacteria. This can be particularly problematic for people with allergies or respiratory problems.
Hire Professionals for Rising Damp Solutions
The best way to treat rising damp will depend on the severity of the problem and the underlying cause. In some cases, installing a new damp-proof course or improving ventilation may be possible to prevent further moisture from entering the affected area.
In more severe cases, removing damaged plaster or wallpaper may be necessary, treating the affected area with a fungicide, and installing a new damp-proof course.
If you suspect that your home may have rising dampness in external walls, it is crucial to seek the advice of a professional who can assess the extent of the problem and recommend the best course of action.